What should be read/understood before H4's launch?

skepticsystem

I am a massive Halo fan, don't get me wrong. I thought I knew most of the general concepts of the Halo Universe from information that I had gathered over the course of many years. Go figure that the majority of what I knew only spanned back to the Prophet-Covenant war. I knew some tidbits of the Forerunners, and the basic rundown of them, but not as much story as there happens to be. I did not find out until earlier today that the symbol in the end of Halo 4's E3 Demo belonged to the Didact. Apparently I missed out on much more than I ever thought. What books etc. should I read in order to understand more about this universe to be a bit more coherent in Halo 4? Would this include Halo Legends, which I never got around to seeing? All and any media I would be willing to get into, so any help would be appreciated.

Tl;Dr: What fiction outside of the Halo games do I need to be a part of in order to get a better grasping of the universe leading up to Halo 4, which has much more to do with the Forerunners than ever before.

halo legends just give you the basics about how the halos were created and the forerunners defeted by the flood. i dont recomend watching that because you probably know most of the information given. the new books on the forerunners like cryptim and primordium would be good becuase it would give you more information on what you want to know

Here are the books.

The Fall of Reach

The Flood

First Strike

Ghosts of Onyx

Contact Harvest

The Cole Protocol

Cryptum

I've decided to just read all the books, partly for fun, partly to understand the story. After I read all of them, I will be sure to watch Halo legends. (I've already read a few of the books)

For anyone that wants a more specific list that goes in chronological order:

Forerunner saga comes first with these books:

Cryptum

Primadorium

One sequel that is not released yet

Then all the other books:

Contact Harvest

The Cole Protocol

The Fall of Reach (NOT a retelling of Halo: Reach)

The Flood (A novelization of Halo: Combat Evolved)

First Strike

Ghosts of Onyx

Glasslands

Then two more sequels that are unannounced.