The Utility Weapon

coIdFUSI0N

The Utility Weapon

Why the utility weapon should be effective at all ranges:

Arena shooters allow you to carry ten weapons at once. You could carry a weapon to defend yourself at any range. Halo allows you to carry two weapons. This limitation makes it difficult to defend yourself at all ranges. A weapon that is effective at all ranges is the factor that bridges the gap between arena shooters and Halo. Rather than reverting to rocks-paper-scissor gameplay, where if one player is carrying close range weapons and another player is carrying long range weapons the outcome is simply decided by the distance the encounter occurs at, the utility weapon allows for a display of skill in any encounter which would not be possible if it was ineffective at any particular range.

Why the utility weapon should have very little aim assist:

The utility weapon, a precision weapon, should have very little aim assist. This allows for a difference in the average kill time and the potential kill time. A difference in potential and average kill times broadens the skill gap and allows for individual skill, rather than team skill, to shine.

Why strafing needs to be effective:

The ability to strafe effectively is essential to balancing precision and automatic weapons. Strafing can cause a precision weapon user to miss a shot but does not punish automatic weapon users as severely because of their larger reticle, greater aim assist and larger area of effect. This allows players who are not proficient in using precision weapons to effectively combat a precision weapon user using positioning, strafing, the larger reticle of an automatic, the greater aim assist of an automatic, and the larger area of effect of an automatic.

Why the utility weapon needs to have a faster potential kill time than automatic weapons:

Precision weapon are inherently more difficult to use effectively than automatically weapons. A smaller reticle, very small area of effect, lower aim assist, and semi automatic nature force the user to land individual, independent shots rather than just continuously painting a target. Since the precision weapon is more difficult to use its potential kill time will be achieved less frequently than an automatic weapon thus bringing the average kill time of a precision weapon in line with that of an automatic weapon.

I disagree entirely. For me, the BR filled this position completely, and I don't want to sound cocky but people will complain its not effective in short range but if you possess the skill it certainly is capable, as it was for me. You use the word "gap" in a condescending sense but I think many Halo fans will agree that this "gap" is essential in making Halo what it is, it's own tier in video games.

The limitation of 2 weapons is not reverting the game down to "rock-paper-scissors" game-play. Sure it may not add the amount of depth that many critics want, but it adds weight to the decisions players have to make throughout competitive matches, which in turn shows more skill and intelligence in individual players and teams as well.

I am sorry, but I think I disagree with every single point in your post.

1) I don't think there is any problem with carrying 2 weapons. It makes the game more strategic. If your enemy has a sniper, BE PREPARED FOR IT. If he has a shotgun, BE PREPARED FOR IT.

2) I dont believe that they should take away the aim assist that is currently in the game. All that is going to do is make other weapons overpowered. If you remove the assist for dmr, a person will miss shots, but when it comes to a needler or a plasma pistol, the bullets follow you. How is that fair to nerf that group of weapons and do nothing to the others?

3) I do not believe that strafing will balance a weapon.... And plus, what is stopping you from strafing? lol. Its not like halo is only allowing you to move forward, back, left and right.

4) And precision weapons need to kill faster? Are you kidding? You can take someone out in no time with a dmr (reach) pistol (CEA) and BR (halo3). No Edits Necessary.