The Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut DLC Review (Spoiler)

What It Added

One of the major complaints about the end of ME3 involved players feeling like their Shepard was not represented in the final scene with the Catalyst. After three games of fighting for humanity and all sentient life, Shepard wouldn’t readily accept suicide as the only choice, especially without asking any questions, like “Why?” This DLC adds some dialogue options for Shepard and the Catalyst before a choice has been made. The information was limited but did offer information on the Reapers’ origins, the Citadel and the Star Child himself.

Information and additional scenes were also added to better illustrate each choice. There were dialogue choices for each of three options that allowed Shepard to ask for an explanation about what each choice did, and what the consequences were. Shepard’s fate did not change.

Thanks to an added piece of dialogue mentioning a “rendezvous point” BioWare was able to answer what happens to all the War Assets/alien troops Shepard had brought to Earth. This “rendezvous point” also explains why Joker was flying away from Shepard in her time of need. The added scene showing him rescuing your crew and then being told to evacuate was appreciated.

The destruction of the Mass Relays left a bleak outlook for the universe you just died to save. A few words of voiceover from Hackett in the Destroy option will ease your troubled mind. BioWare wrote that debacle out by adding they were “severely damaged.” Hackett assures us, “We can rebuild everything.” Not most stuff, but everything. Phew, that’s a relief. This is a good example of BioWare making a significant change to the canon they set in the original ending.

The most notable added scenes took place at the end of each option. The first scene shows victorious Asari and cheering Krogans as Joker flies away, escaping whatever color you chose. The same lush island scene from the original ending plays out before revealing all your surviving squadmates gathered around the Normandy's memorial wall. Commander Shepard’s name is added above Admiral Anderson’s.

The Endings

The additions made to each ending were minimal, varied by color not choices, but did offer the closure for some people.

• Like 1

I am amazed at how many ppl had a ton of stuff set up and almost like Bungie, Bioware pleaded to EA to let them make a 'new' ending EA answered and did let them, something but sadly Shepard died in all 4 still but in the control maybe the sysnthesis ending he lived on in Reaper form which is a good change to them

I started from the checkpoint they gave you, when you jump in the Citadel. Now, if i re-started from the mission "Cerberus Headquarters", and made it all to the end, the squad i would have chosen (in my choice Garrus and the Prothean) should die? When you run to the portal to the Citadel and the Reaper almost kills you, your teammates should die?