Yanme'e origin makes no sense.

SimKoning

The Yanme’e’s origin bugs me—pun not intentional—because it makes no sense at all. Insects on Earth are limited by both their exoskeleton and method of respiration. I won’t go into their respiratory system because, being aliens, the Yanme’e could have true lungs and a closed circulatory system for all I know. However, the problem with an exoskeleton is that the square-cube law creates problems for any giant arthropod: As the creature gets larger, the shell thickness would have to increase disproportionately relative to its internal volume. Eventually, the carapace would become so heavy that the creature wouldn’t be able to lift itself up off the ground. The problem would be even worse for a flying creature.

No problem right? The Yanme’e have antigravity gear that helps them support their weight in 1g; it even allows them to fly. Logically you would expect them to have evolved on a planet with much lower gravity than what we have here on Earth, or at least that’s what I was expecting when I went to read up on their backstory, but apparently, one of Bungie’s writers thought it was a good idea to write it into the canon that they evolved on a high g world; in fact, Palamok’s gravity is on par with Jupiter’s—this makes no sense at all.

343, if you’re reading this, there is an easy way to fix this: expand on their backstory by explaining that they actually evolved on Palamok’s moon (make it about the size of Mars). You could say that, for whatever reason, they had to abandon the low g moon and develop antigravity technology to help them cope with the much higher gravity of Palamok. No retcon would be needed, since one could argue that Palamok's moon is part of a binary planet system (the Palamok system). This would explain their skills in engineering as well as their antigravity devices quite well while eliminating the absurdity of a flying insectoid race evolving on a world with twice the gravity of the Earth.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I truly like this attention to detail.Learn something new everyday.We haven't seen this species in a Halo game in sometime,seems they've been forgotten.

i think that you ment to say that they have not been seen recently, they did make one apperence in reach on the level the package i belive. so technical the only games they are not in is halo 1, halo wars, and halo 4.

The Yanme’e’s origin bugs me—pun not intentional—because it makes no sense at all. Insects on Earth are limited by both their exoskeleton and method of respiration. I won’t go into their respiratory system because, being aliens, the Yanme’e could have true lungs and a closed circulatory system for all I know. However, the problem with an exoskeleton is that the square-cube law creates problems for any giant arthropod: As the creature gets larger, the shell thickness would have to increase disproportionately relative to its internal volume. Eventually, the carapace would become so heavy that the creature wouldn’t be able to lift itself up off the ground. The problem would be even worse for a flying creature.

No problem right? The Yanme’e have antigravity gear that helps them support their weight in 1g; it even allows them to fly. Logically you would expect them to have evolved on a planet with much lower gravity than what we have here on Earth, or at least that’s what I was expecting when I went to read up on their backstory, but apparently, one of Bungie’s writers thought it was a good idea to write it into the canon that they evolved on a high g world; in fact, Palamok’s gravity is on par with Jupiter’s—this makes no sense at all.

343, if you’re reading this, there is an easy way to fix this: expand on their backstory by explaining that they actually evolved on Palamok’s moon (make it about the size of Mars). You could say that, for whatever reason, they had to abandon the low g moon and develop antigravity technology to help them cope with the much higher gravity of Palamok. No retcon would be needed, since one could argue that Palamok's moon is part of a binary planet system (the Palamok system). This would explain their skills in engineering as well as their antigravity devices quite well while eliminating the absurdity of a flying insectoid race evolving on a world with twice the gravity of the Earth.

could this problem not be solved by saying that they has a stronger muscles than earth insects? monkeys are roughly ten times stronger than a human that has the same musle mass. simply because their genetics are different.

could this problem not be solved by saying that they has a stronger muscles than earth insects? monkeys are roughly ten times stronger than a human that has the same musle mass. simply because their genetics are different.

It wouldn't be an issue of muscles, it would be an issue of whether or not they could obtain lift. No matter how hard you flap your arms, you will not be able to obtain lift, and it would be the same for the Yanme'e...

Unless their exoskeleton isn't made out of chitin, and is instead made out of a lighter material. Or perhaps they have gas bladders, similar to fish. There's about a billion different explanations for how they fly. Take your pick of one that fits with the story lol