Whats your thoughts on 343's gem, Halo 4?

God of War

Halo 4.... For or Against?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like halo 4?

• Yes, it's a great game.
    • It could have been better...
    • No, its terrible!

Halo 4 is weird for me, I went into the game not expecting too much from it given that the studio behind it was completely inexperienced and I was about 50/50 with what I had heard 343i had done with the game.

So a few days after it had come out I went out and bought it for the campaign full well expecting the multiplayer to be horrible. Boy was I wrong. The Multiplayer in Halo 4 reminds me of the fun I had playing Halo 3, very competitive and always leaving you on the edge of your seat. My worries about the game being too dumbed down instantly disappeared the second I played Regicide for the first time. In my mind the multiplayer gets a 9/10 because there are some serious weapon balance issues that still need to be corrected.

Now for Campaign and Spartan Ops. When I mentioned how I was completely wrong about how I felt, that goes both ways. To me it just isn't fun, at all, the fights are horribly repetitive, the game is entirely linear, and when I finally got to fight something new in the form of the Prometheans I discovered just how horrible they are to fight. Nothing about fighting three badly designed enemy types which have about 20 or 30 each on the battlefield at once is fun, especially when you know that the only thing that greets you at the end of that fight is the exact same fight another 4 times in a row.

Also, one of the things that has always been good about the Halo series, attention to detail, appears to be entirely missing from what I have played of the game. A perfect example of this is when you have to launch the missile on the first level, the first thing you see is a Battle Rifle float by which tells you that there is no gravity in this section. You then proceed to see covenent doing low G jumps, which in itself doesn't make sense because the jumps imply low G and the floating BR was in no G but whatever, so what happens if you try to jump, well commonsense from Halo Reach and 3 would tell you that you do some cool slow jump but nope you jump as if there is normal gravity. For whatever reason I noticed this immediately and than proceeded to test out weapons, grenades, ect. and found out that everything is in normal gravity except for the covenent, bodies, and weapons not controlled by anyone. Well I wonder how they could have fixed this? You know what had a situation similar to this? The E3 Trailer! Cheif was flying around like a boss! So why not use that same thing here! Have him float off and fight the covies in no G! But nope, that was too creative for them so they made it exactly like every other part of the game.

This brings me to the warthog segment in the second mission. They give you this great tool in order to do something other than point and shoot(the entire rest of the game), so they can't possibly mess this up right? Wrong, it seems like the only way to play this part of the game is to get out of the hog and shoot them yourself since the hog is useless! At first I tried to splatter covies with the hog, which is, oh what's the word, fun, but they would just bounce off with little to no damage done to them. At this point I was pretty sick of playing campaign so I just decided to hop in the turret and try to take them out with that, anything but shooting them in the same way as I had already been doing for about 40 minutes now. Everything was going great, the covenent were dying nicely, and the turret felt nice, I saw some enemies coming into the battle from the left from behind some rocks and was impressed at how they were coming to investigate the fight. Then more came from behind the rock, and more, and more, and more, you know they were only really coming out when I was close to killing all of the covies, how weird. Wait a minute... this seems like... like... like... a Clown Car! But no it couldn't be, there must be a drop pod, or a phantom, or something, but no, there was a cliff, that's all.

TL;DR: Good game overall with one of the best multplayer systems I have ever played but is dragged down by a very boring campaign which is entirely linear and dull.