Regarding Starter Precision Weapon Balance

zexi

They should really look at the current Precision weapon balance and readjust it. The DMR is better than all the other starter weapons because it is a do-all starter weapon. Assuming 4 equally skilled pros have a DMR, BR, Carbine, and LR, the DMR user will have the most amount of kills, and the greatest advantage because it is useful at all ranges.

Obviously, the DMR is for Medium to Large Maps, and the BR is for small to medium maps. Currently, the DMR overpowers the BR because it kills faster, and is effective at all ranges, even in BR's niche. The DMR is also stronger than the Carbine because the Carbine, although faster, takes more shots to kill. Finally, the DMR user will beat an LR user most of the time However, at long range, a LR user should win, but it's ROF is very slow and it is difficult to hit.

BR should be made 4 shot, and have it's rate of fire reduced. Without reducing it's ROF, the kill time would be about 1.5 seconds if made 4 shot. Instead, reducing it's ROF should make it around 1.7-1.8 seconds. Only slightly faster than what it was. Also, the formula for the BR should be edited so that the 4th Burst takes out the shield and kills, assuming all the last bullet hits the head. Otherwise, it is still 5 shot.

DMR, should only get a rate of fire decrease, but not by a huge amount. Right now, it is about 1.7 seconds, so it is faster than the BR. However, nerf it so that it takes about 1.8 seconds at ALL ranges. The BR will beat the DMR, just barely, at close and mid range. But a BR will barely ever beat a DMR at long range. The only other option is for bloom to actually have an effect on the DMR. However, this still makes it somewhat viable at close range, so a slight ROF decrease seems like a better option.

The Carbine and LR should also get a slight buff. LR should have a slightly higher ROF, but you will be unscoped when hit. Carbine should have a damage increase so that it takes perhaps one less shot to kill.

For those that say gameplay speed would get slower, the kill times in previous halo games for these weapons was slower, and the game rolled just fine. Halo 3 was probably the pinnacle of multiplayer for Halo, and the kill times were not this fast. I think that if 343 made these slight tweaks to these weapons, it would be far more balanced and I could actually consider using something other than the DMR because the DMR just beats everything. I am personally a huge BR fan, and I am very accurate with more precision weapons. Since my goal is to win a match, of course I'll pick the loadout that has the stronger precision weapon. I hope they make changes so that it is viable to use the BR or the DMR.

the problem with having 4 precision weapons with different "play styles" is that you will never get balance. Why i think people are always complaining that DMR is to powerful is preference i suspect that they want to be able to use the BR all the time but cant at the moment because its slightly inferior.

if there was only BR, carbine and LR and the BR was better i guarantee there would be hardly any threads on making the guns balanced

the problem with having 4 precision weapons with different "play styles" is that you will never get balance. Why i think people are always complaining that DMR is to powerful is preference i suspect that they want to be able to use the BR all the time but cant at the moment because its slightly inferior.

if there was only BR, carbine and LR and the BR was better i guarantee there would be hardly any threads on making the guns balanced

I do want to use the BR more, and I started off using it anyways. I was disappointed when I found out it had been nerfed from previous Halos, and even more disappointed when I picked up a DMR and totally destroyed with it. I used the Carbine and LR, and they work fine and are balanced, but DMR is just way too useful and all-around. it is a do-all weapon, and it is better than all the other precision weapons. Like I said, i want to win so I will continue to use the DMR, but I am mostly concerned for weapon balance because I want to be able to use a different weapon and still have it be as effective.

I do want to use the BR more, and I started off using it anyways. I was disappointed when I found out it had been nerfed from previous Halos, and even more disappointed when I picked up a DMR and totally destroyed with it. I used the Carbine and LR, and they work fine and are balanced, but DMR is just way too useful and all-around. it is a do-all weapon, and it is better than all the other precision weapons. Like I said, i want to win so I will continue to use the DMR, but I am mostly concerned for weapon balance because I want to be able to use a different weapon and still have it be as effective.

in my opinion i think the game would be a whole lot better without the DMR it would stop insane range putting shots on people, the beauty of the BR is past a certain distance hitting people from range is impossible which means you can walk around and not get cross mapped all the time.

in my opinion i think the game would be a whole lot better without the DMR it would stop insane range putting shots on people, the beauty of the BR is past a certain distance hitting people from range is impossible which means you can walk around and not get cross mapped all the time.

If MLG comes out, they may just remove the DMR from the playlist. The DMR is too powerful because it does everything. There are many people complaining about this, and I wonder if 343 is going to make ANY adjustments. Problem is they didn't even have a Beta.

I think one of the ideas is that the BR/other weapons is actually more useful for lower level players. Kind of like how the AR is more useful for low teir players. If you're good enough to use the DMR very well, it's meant to be? I don't know.

Perhaps, but I am a long time Halo fanboy... I don't like the DMR personally because Reach. It is rather unbalanced, and I'll deal with it for now, but when they bring out a truly competitive playlist, they will have to make adjustments.

i disagree with buffing the BR to the level of the DMR.

not too mention the 3 sources of data ive found is the DMR ttk is at least 1.6 seconds while BR is at least 1.8

i could see maybe reversing them tho. light rifle has a very fast ttk at scope, its unscop could use maybe a slight buff, but not much, its kinda balanced with games fastest ttk for precision weapon at long range while unscoped its the slowest.

carbine is kinda funky

What amuses me about the whole situation is that in our lan sessions of the first Halo we used to look down on anyone using the Magnum excessively because it was so overpowered and turned every game into an incredibly boring ranged fight. However it seems that Bungie and now 343 looked at the dodgy balance issues of the original Magnum and decided to base the entire game around it. Most matchmaking games simply revolve around a team standing at one end of the map with 'precision' weapons and a team standing opposite them doing the same... which gets boring pretty damn quickly. Dominion is really the only saving grace of this game as far as I am concerned as the shielded objectives prevent every single encounter being decided at 50 paces...