Microphone issue

Lemonmuncher

So, I've been playing Halo 4 almost every day since the release date and I'm tired of having no one to talk to. So what I did was to plug in my xbox headset, the one I got with my console so that I could start chattering with all the other mic users out there. Sad to say that there are very few people using a mic, although that really isn't why I'm writing this.

The real problem I'm having is that I can barely seem to hear what the other guys are saying, but they seem to be hearing me perfectly. I've tried to switch the sound from the crappy little headphone to my TV-speakers but all it did was take the sound and mash it up with the game more, so instead of not hearing muffled sounds I now hear slightly clearer speak, but totally blurred out by gunfire and explosions.

Any tips as for what I should do? Are there another pair of headphones I could use or some xbox option I'm not seeing in the menu?