Objective-based story beats

LiQuid BioniX

I love the Halo 4 campaign. It, other than Halo CE, is probably my favorite Halo campaign.

I've only got one problem with it.

All of the contrived ways they decide to implement the objectives.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the objective waypoints on occasion, and Halo has been known to do that. But I'm a little bit disappointed in the way that they introduce each objective. The Halo universe is a big one so I would have hoped that they could've come up with a couple of things that were more interesting in some parts of the game.

The main objective that stands out to me is one of the very first. When you are on the Forward Unto Dawn, and you walk outside and need to open the bay doors for the missile... it just stops. Seriously? As soon as Cortana said that "The doors are jammed" I just wanted to beat my head against a wall. I was hoping for some sort depth, like the Covenant are jamming them or they disabled the electronics or something, but to just have them jam... it seemed kind of... convenient.

There are a couple of other story beats like this that made me cringe. Most of the time they were quality, but on occasion I just had to grimace. What do you all think?