Spray and Pray Playlist

Cassi

Spray and Pray/CQC Playlist?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Spray and Play/CQC Playlist?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • With these changes, perhaps.

Hello! New to the forums, but I've been following them for some time. Thought I'd share an idea with everyone (or rehash it, if it's already been proposed).

Let me preamble this, thought. I realize this is a fan forum and has almost 0 connection with 343i. It's my hope, however, to assess the popularity of the idea.

The idea is for a "Spray and Pray" playlist that harkens back to the Halo CE days of multiplayer.

Precisions weapons would not be available for loadouts or ordinance. That means no DMR, BR, Carbine, Lightrifle, Magnum, Sniper Rifle, Beam Rifle, or Binary Rifle. Now, don't get me wrong, I use the Precision weapons like anyone else (seriously, the DMR needs a significant nerf), but this playlist would focus only on automatics and try to recapture that visceral, "in-your-face"-style multiplayer experience from CE. And yes, I am aware the magnum (the original "precision" weapon) was in CE. For the purposes of this playlist, though, it needs to remain omitted.

Thus, the following weapons would remain for loadouts: AR, Storm Rifle, Suppressor, Boltshot, and the Plasma Pistol. For ordinance: Needle Rifle, SAW, Shotgun, Scattershot, Sword, and Gravity Hammer. Of course, Overshield, Damage Boost, and Speed Boost would remain options as well, plus the various grenades.

The Rocket Launcher, the IC, and the Railgun would be omitted to retain the CQC feel.

Maps: Haven, Adrift, Solace, Complex, maybe Vortex and/or Meltdown?

Obviously the removal of certain weapons means that this playlist isn't strictly a CE/Classic playlist. Rather, it's meant to encourage map exploration and invite bullet-storm battles between players. The fear of poking your head out would be eliminated for the most part, and roaming, dynamic battles would return.

It's just a thought. I really enjoyed CE's up-close and personal multiplayer feel. Halo 2 had a great CQC multiplayer environment too. With the debut of Reach, map exploration seemed to take a backseat, and in Halo 4, it seems almost non-existant (since one can simply spawn with powerful precision weapons and just sit back). Not saying Halo 4 is bad. It's just with the prevalence of precision weapons in everyone's hands right off the bat, CQC seems to happen less and less. Kills feel less personal and lack an adrenaline rush.

And, since there is (or was, rather) a Slayer Pro playlist, and I'm sure an MLG playlist isn't far away, I don't see why an Automatic/CQC playlist couldn't be implemented for those of us who enjoy unloading a clip of burning lead (or plasma/hardlight) into our enemy's armored torso. :)

So, who'd be interested in such a playlist?

Off-topic: Sorry for any misspellings that may be present, and I hope I presented the idea in a clear and concise manner. :)

• Like 4

I totally agree. I think that getting people out of their comfort zones by forcing them to use the fully automatic rifles would be a good little twist on the gameplay.

Yep! I understand the DMR is the go-to weapon in Halo 4, and the equation these days seems to be "Precision = Skill = Fun", but I just don't see it that way. Five-shotting someone (or being five-shotted) from across the map or even up close just isn't fun for me. Now, getting down to the nitty-gritty with someone in an auto-duel, or jumping into a bloodbath with six or seven other players is my kind of thing! lol

I think such a playlist, free from long-range death, would be immensely popular and satisfying to play for the majority of Halo players. :)

Yep! I understand the DMR is the go-to weapon in Halo 4, and the equation these days seems to be "Precision = Skill = Fun", but I just don't see it that way. Five-shotting someone (or being five-shotted) from across the map or even up close just isn't fun for me. Now, getting down to the nitty-gritty with someone in an auto-duel, or jumping into a bloodbath with six or seven other players is my kind of thing! lol

I think such a playlist, free from long-range death, would be immensely popular and satisfying to play for the majority of Halo players. :)

Problem is there is a lack in maps which encourage getting up close to the enemy. There is a lack in maps like guardian or the pit. they are just to open with the exception of haven and adrift to an extent.

Problem is there is a lack in maps which encourage getting up close to the enemy. There is a lack in maps like guardian or the pit. they are just to open with the exception of haven and adrift to an extent.

Not really. With sprint, the Infinity Slayer maps are fairly confined and quickly traversed. And even the big maps would support CQC. Expanses once shunned due to focused Precision fire would become viable areas to slug it out. The mere fact one could actually walk out in the open would speed up gameplay and make the maps seem smaller, imo. :)

Honestly I don't think that this playlist would be nearly popular enough to encourage it's creation. As a double XP or weekend playlist though It might be justified.

Perhaps not with the MLG[wannabe]-crowd or those who obsess over their K/d. But, honestly, I believe these folks are in the minority. I think such a playlist would surprise you, population-wise, especially considering that this playlist caters to the classic halo-style (No precisions, run-and-gun, ect). :)

Not really. With sprint, the Infinity Slayer maps are fairly confined and quickly traversed. And even the big maps would support CQC. Expanses once shunned due to focused Precision fire would become viable areas to slug it out. The mere fact one could actually walk out in the open would speed up gameplay and make the maps seem smaller, imo. :)

Not really.. for example complex becomes a game of trying to get to a high area and just picking off people with a DMR. Solace is similar, this might be due to the fact there are no longer weapons pre placed on the map and so map movement is discouraged, i dont know.

Not really.. for example complex becomes a game of trying to get to a high area and just picking off people with a DMR. Solace is similar, this might be due to the fact there are no longer weapons pre placed on the map and so map movement is discouraged, i dont know.

I think you missed the part where the DMR would NOT be a part of this playlist. lol

Unless you were just referencing the weapon and map in normal team slayer, which still doesn't apply here. :)

Recapturing the feel of CE without the Magnum!?

Seriously though, I'd definitely play something like this, I've really missed the mad Assault Rifle battles from Halo 3 and CE now that every battle generally just consists of rifles and power weapons. I think for that reason it might also make sense to restrict the weapons as far as possible to 'Classic' weapons: Assault Rifle, Magnum, Plasma Pistol, Shotgun, etc. The Magnum I think deserves to be included because outside of close range it has a fairly long kill time if the shooter tries to pace their shots, but still lets players at least hit back against anyone with power weapons straight from spawn without being overpowered. A very slight damage increase might also help, leaving the Magnum at 6sk but making the Assault Rifle kill slightly faster to balance it. Battle Rifles and DMRs would definitely be banned, though.

As for the maps, I think we really would need some new Forged arenas: while existing ones potentially could be okay with Sprint, they're generally quite geared towards open sightlines and ranged combat, whereas ideally CQB maps would need to be quite small and claustrophobic - along the lines of Chill Out, Rat Race and Derelict.

At any rate, getting back to the good old days of killing people by punching them in the face instead of shooting them there sounds like a lot of fun - and welcome to the forums! :D

Recapturing the feel of CE without the Magnum!?

Seriously though, I'd definitely play something like this, I've really missed the mad Assault Rifle battles from Halo 3 and CE now that every battle generally just consists of rifles and power weapons. I think for that reason it might also make sense to restrict the weapons as far as possible to 'Classic' weapons: Assault Rifle, Magnum, Plasma Pistol, Shotgun, etc. The Magnum I think deserves to be included because outside of close range it has a fairly long kill time if the shooter tries to pace their shots, but still lets players at least hit back against anyone with power weapons straight from spawn without being overpowered. A very slight damage increase might also help, leaving the Magnum at 6sk but making the Assault Rifle kill slightly faster to balance it. Battle Rifles and DMRs would definitely be banned, though.

As for the maps, I think we really would need some new Forged arenas: while existing ones potentially could be okay with Sprint, they're generally quite geared towards open sightlines and ranged combat, whereas ideally CQB maps would need to be quite small and claustrophobic - along the lines of Chill Out, Rat Race and Derelict.

At any rate, getting back to the good old days of killing people by punching them in the face instead of shooting them there sounds like a lot of fun - and welcome to the forums! :D

What you suggest isn't unreasonable. I suppose the magnum could remain (it's true the little sucker isn't quite as lethal at mid-long range), I was just hoping to avoid folks trading the DMR for the pistol, but you're right, the magnum isn't quite as powerful and unbalancing in such a playlist.

I would also love to see some forged arenas. I think someone posted a Forge Map Pack not too long ago that had some really awesome remakes in it, like The Pit and Turf. Maybe some of these?

As for limiting the weapons further, idk. I didn't want to restrict it too much for fear of limiting choices and thus formenting boredom. I'm looking to recreate the CE feel, with the Halo 4 sandbox.

Do you think people would be content with just the CE weapons for loadouts and ords?

Btw, thanks so much for the warm welcome. This place is awesome (barring the influx of trolls after H4's release lol). :)

My bad. I went off on a tangent about the maps, forgot about the game type in question :P

It's fine, I figured it was a simple mistake. :)

@Tornado:

But, it's alright to waste a slot on MLG? Or Slayer Pro?

Everyone has their own idea of fun. A waste of space to one person isn't so for another person. I think a lot of players who aren't worried about competativeness or their K/d (a large majority of the population I'd venture to say with confidence) would consider such a playlist a blessing. :)

This doesn't work as an idea.

You're failing to account for the fact that 343 wanted automatic loadout weapons to lose EVERY fight against something other than an automatic loadout weapon. You included a gravity hammer, sword, shotguns, etc. Those weapons are designed to kill AR/Storm Rifle/Suppressor users. Do you know how much MORE powerful those weapons become when people can't kill at mid-range anymore?

You're also failing to understand the thing that Bungie failed to understand when they made Halo: CE. If the pistol hadn't been insanely powerful people STILL would have used it a lot because it filled the void of a mid-range gun (There were no others in Halo: CE). A weapon that can defend itself at mid-range is just as essential as a weapon that drops people fast in CQB. All the way through Halo's history the range you find yourself at most often from an opponent is that middle range. Unless you design maps that are nothing but blind corners and tight hallways that's how it will always be.

The point is you're not seeing this for what it is: The removal of Halo's backbone. People want that mid-range weapon they want that thing that can strike at whatever range they spot their enemies. So you might get a few people in the playlist to start out because it's something new, but it'll end up as the playlist where you start with the worst weapons possible and then spend every game getting owned by the first people who get a solid ordinance drop. I just don't think there's the audience for it, which I believe is what you were trying to learn with this thread.

If whoever is making Halo ever wants to give automatic weapons some killing power ever does, then there will be a place for this playlist, but as it is the automatic starting weapon has always been the first weapon you throw away. First Bungie and now 343 wanted it that way. No playlist will fix that.

It's fine, I figured it was a simple mistake. :)

@Tornado:

But, it's alright to waste a slot on MLG? Or Slayer Pro?

Everyone has their own idea of fun. A waste of space to one person isn't so for another person. I think a lot of players who aren't worried about competativeness or their K/d (a large majority of the population I'd venture to say with confidence) would consider such a playlist a blessing. :)

well yes there is a competetive community if you can find a community for spray players maybe but you can find that in casual playlist you can even make a custom game and play that with your friends. Now what i suggest is when they get a action sack playlist to have it in the varients that be pretty cool now but its Own playlist i do not think so.

This doesn't work as an idea.

You're failing to account...

Um...no?

well yes there is a competetive community if you can find a community for spray players maybe but you can find that in casual playlist you can even make a custom game and play that with your friends. Now what i suggest is when they get a action sack playlist to have it in the varients that be pretty cool now but its Own playlist i do not think so.

I think there are more spray players than precision weapon players, so finding a community isn't that difficult. :)

A custom game is a good alternative, and is likely what I'll propose to the members of this forum should this idea not garner enough attention.

Action sack would be a nice fit too, but I really think an automatic weapon playlist would be just as popular as Slayer Pro or MLG. :)