Bit of a damage quesiton

LiQuid BioniX

So in previous Halo games, most notably Halo 3, my experience with the Battle Rifle is that it's three shots to the body, one shot to the head. Getting four headshots is the same as 3 body, 1 head. I've heard differently about Halo 4. Is this true? Can I reduce the amount of shots it takes if I land them all to the head?

Only if you play SWAT.

Shields take the same damage no matter where the spartan takes the hit. If the shot pierces shields (Like a sniper rifle) obviously headshots are better. Against a shielded spartan on normal settings the BR kills in 5 shots, as long as the last shot is a headshot, no matter what. I was horrified when I tested it in forge, because I very vocally prefer it should be 4 shots to kill, but when I tested it they were all straight to the face, no variation from 5 shots.

• Like 1

The BR should go back to being a 4 shot weapon. Sure it may over power the DMR in mid to close range but oh well!!! The DMR practically dominates any range no matter what starting weapon a player has if they're skilled enough. The DMR should get a nerf big time though. The Carbine is unable to keep up with either the BR or DMR. In 1v1 the Carbine could out perform both because of it's fire rate but, you rarely ever get that kind of encounter even in Regicide.

So its better that the DMR has all the advantages ove the BR instead???? Funny how the idea of making the BR better is so taboo considering its range is so much less!!!

I really need to write this down somewhere, for posterity.

Okay.

Both rifles will kill in the same number of trigger pulls, provided every shot hits the target. This gives the DMR a slight advantage as Battle Rifle users have to worry about every bullet from the burst hitting, as if even one goes astray it increases kill times.

The DMR fires slightly faster than the Battle Rifle, which means if both players begin firing at the same time the DMR will win due to its lower kill time.

The DMR has a more powerful scope, allowing it to reliably hit targets further away. It is also more accurate, meaning its shots are more likely to hit exactly where they're aimed. This isn't necessarily an advantage.

The Battle Rifle 'jumps' a lot less when hit whilst using the scope, meaning players can stay more accurate when under fire.

The Battle Rifle has greater aim assist, meaning the game will pull your aim towards targets when the crosshair is red as though drawn to it magnetically (the DMR gets a little, but it's a lot weaker and thus you have to do more of the work yourself).

The Battle Rifle gets more bullet magnetism, meaning you only have to get your outer crosshair to touch the target in order to hit it, giving you an advantage over the DMR's smaller outer crosshair.

The Battle Rifle doesn't get any less accurate from firing too quickly, meaning your aim assist and bullet magnetism will always stay the same. The DMR's accuracy degrades, so that as the size of the crosshair increases, the less likely a bullet is to land on the target than it is just to hit anywhere in the reticle.

So basically, while the DMR is unquestionably more powerful, it's harder to use. You're much more reliant on your own abilities than you are on mechanical assistance, and that's why you get rewarded with a better optimum performance. Pick the DMR if you feel like you don't need any help from the game: pick the Battle Rifle if you think you do. Sure, your kills might take a half-second longer, but at least you'll be hitting the other guy as he misses over and over again.

And finally, OT:

Bullets do the same damage regardless of where they hit on the shield.

• Like 1

Okay.

Both rifles will kill in the same number of trigger pulls, provided every shot hits the target. This gives the DMR a slight advantage as Battle Rifle users have to worry about every bullet from the burst hitting, as if even one goes astray it increases kill times.

The DMR fires slightly faster than the Battle Rifle, which means if both players begin firing at the same time the DMR will win due to its lower kill time.

The DMR has a more powerful scope, allowing it to reliably hit targets further away. It is also more accurate, meaning its shots are more likely to hit exactly where they're aimed. This isn't necessarily an advantage.

The Battle Rifle 'jumps' a lot less when hit whilst using the scope, meaning players can stay more accurate when under fire.

The Battle Rifle has greater aim assist, meaning the game will pull your aim towards targets when the crosshair is red as though drawn to it magnetically (the DMR gets a little, but it's a lot weaker and thus you have to do more of the work yourself).

The Battle Rifle gets more bullet magnetism, meaning you only have to get your outer crosshair to touch the target in order to hit it, giving you an advantage over the DMR's smaller outer crosshair.

The Battle Rifle doesn't get any less accurate from firing too quickly, meaning your aim assist and bullet magnetism will always stay the same. The DMR's accuracy degrades, so that as the size of the crosshair increases, the less likely a bullet is to land on the target than it is just to hit anywhere in the reticle.

So basically, while the DMR is unquestionably more powerful, it's harder to use. You're much more reliant on your own abilities than you are on mechanical assistance, and that's why you get rewarded with a better optimum performance. Pick the DMR if you feel like you don't need any help from the game: pick the Battle Rifle if you think you do. Sure, your kills might take a half-second longer, but at least you'll be hitting the other guy as he misses over and over again.

And finally, OT:

You should check the accuracy of most of your information.

The Battle Rifle doesn't require every bullet to land, it requires 13 of the 15 bullets it fires to land. Your first 4 shots remove shields completely, your final shot is a 3 shot burst searching for a headshot. They're all 3-shot bursts, but you do not need every bullet from every one to land.

"More accurate" is definitely an advantage. You may mean that a tighter spread and/or smaller projectile isn't always better because as you get closer to a target you want shots to land whether or not your aim is perfect, but the ability of the weapon to hit where its reticule indicates it will is accuracy, and more is better. Someone who gets saved by a luckily inaccurate shot is just that, lucky. If you can't predict where the bullets will go you are at a disadvantage, period.

As for the weapons "jumping" I doubt there is a difference in the amount your aim strays upward nearly so much as there is a difference in your capacity to notice it. A 5x scope will show your reticule traveling upward more, but probably only about 250% as much (which is how much bigger everything seems compared to a 2x scope). So you likely have the same amount of "jump" but can notice it more sharply on a DMR scope.

Concerning aim assist and bullet magnetism, the DMR's aim assist continues out to a longer ranger than the BR's. I don't know which one gets more at medium range, or whether they are different at all at that range. Bullet magnetism is a much harder thing to measure, I haven't done any tests myself, but I don't think anyone else has done one that makes a strong case either. It's not that people are failing, it's that I don't think players have the capacity to accurately show something like that without cracking the game's code.

And finally, OT:

Why thank you ;)

Also, I want to point out to everyone arguing about the DMR and BR that I never mentioned the DMR once.

Take the arguments elsewhere. There are many other threads for this.

• Like 1

Okay.

And finally, OT:

So Bloody has shredded your argument and I have to say being a BR fan that the DMR is better in almost everyway, fairs fair give the BR a more distinct advantage, whatever that may be make it an obvious one.

At the end of the day the DMR is the daddy of the rifles and I am not going to complain instead I just use it... but I would like for all guns to have their thing not make one weaker to justify another or why have it!!!

You should check the accuracy of most of your information.

The Battle Rifle doesn't require every bullet to land, it requires 13 of the 15 bullets it fires to land. Your first 4 shots remove shields completely, your final shot is a 3 shot burst searching for a headshot. They're all 3-shot bursts, but you do not need every bullet from every one to land.

"More accurate" is definitely an advantage. You may mean that a tighter spread and/or smaller projectile isn't always better because as you get closer to a target you want shots to land whether or not your aim is perfect, but the ability of the weapon to hit where its reticule indicates it will is accuracy, and more is better. Someone who gets saved by a luckily inaccurate shot is just that, lucky. If you can't predict where the bullets will go you are at a disadvantage, period.

As for the weapons "jumping" I doubt there is a difference in the amount your aim strays upward nearly so much as there is a difference in your capacity to notice it. A 5x scope will show your reticule traveling upward more, but probably only about 250% as much (which is how much bigger everything seems compared to a 2x scope). So you likely have the same amount of "jump" but can notice it more sharply on a DMR scope.

Concerning aim assist and bullet magnetism, the DMR's aim assist continues out to a longer ranger than the BR's. I don't know which one gets more at medium range, or whether they are different at all at that range. Bullet magnetism is a much harder thing to measure, I haven't done any tests myself, but I don't think anyone else has done one that makes a strong case either. It's not that people are failing, it's that I don't think players have the capacity to accurately show something like that without cracking the game's code.

If one bullet misses from every burst, then it takes six bursts just to lower the shield - that's what I meant to say, at any rate, though I phrased it really poorly.

The accuracy can be a disadvantage to weaker players - take a Sniper Rifle and a Magnum, for example. Yes, the Sniper Rifle is more accurate, but shot for shot a weaker player is much more likely to hit with the Magnum than they are with the Sniper Rifle. There's no contesting that the Sniper Rifle is a better weapon, but in terms of just hitting something, the Magnum is easier to use. For stronger players, it's an advantage: for weaker players, it's a drawback.

Even if it is just more noticeable, so what? Even if it's a perspective thing, your aim still takes longer to get back to where it was previously, meaning more time spent not shooting, meaning more time to sponge damage.

Bullet Magnetism is actually very easily measured. The outer reticle of any weapon is the bullet magnetism radius when it turns red. That's the maths behind it, and the Battle Rifle has more. The Battle Rifle's is constant: the DMR's decays.