Schism of Horror [Short Story]

BATMAN

She awoke.

Through sheer instinct, she kept her eyes clenched shut.

She avoided panicking through the sleep apnea.

When she forced her body to remember how to breathe, she finally started to relax.

Then it hit her.

I don't know where I am.

Her fear prevented her from opening her eyes. Maybe it was fear that's kept her alive..

or, maybe, just her paranoia.

She couldn't bare the thought of keeping blind, anymore. But for some reason, she forced her eyes to close even tighter.

Where.. am I?

She began probing the space around her with her senses, listening for something.

Anything.

All she heard was a soft throbbing-- not her heartbeat, no. Something biotic was surrounding her.

How.. did I get here?

She was stunned by the amount of time it took for her brain to recognize its orientation as upside-down.

She couldn't help herself. Her eyes snapped open.

Her visor was clouded with a flesh-colored parasite that oozed a cream the color of pus and filth. Pushing back the revulsion she feels contracting in her stomach, she examines beyond it.

Off-fleshy tones surrounded her, mixed in with burgundy, off-white, brown, and yellow. She sends her panic below her cold, sweat-covered flesh. Her hands start shaking. She takes a gamble.

Looking towards the ceiling of this flesh-covered tomb dislodges her legs and sends her violently crashing to the floor.

She lands on a bulbous sac that bursts pus-colored cream that sprays and seeps all around her. The sac from the ceiling that held her starts raining an all-too-familiar red liquid.

She's not going to lie to herself.

She knows it's human blood.

She struggles to make herself stand-- the cream and blood sizzle as they meet each other, coating the floor to the point of near-frictionlessness.

When she finally stands, she feels nothing. She stops thinking and consciously prevents any emotions from coalescing.

Her hands finally stop shaking.

Taking the time to analyze her situation, she starts pulling the parasites off of her armor. The tendrils of them writhe in agony as she crushes them.

Her suit's not breached.

That doesn't stop her from feeling violated.

She takes a few steps to the console that's been right in front of her the whole time. A simple superficial glance and she recognizes it immediately as Covenant. She casts her eyes skyward.

A chasm. A Flood-infected chasm.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...