Why Some of Us Actually Want Call of Halo

ForgeMonitor

For the past few months, all I've heard people say is that Halo is turning into Call of Duty. What does this really mean? No, I'm not referring to new CoD-esque additions such as Ordnance or Specializations (which indigenous to CoD)--I'm talking about what makes Halo stand apart from CoD: the former is a different experience every time; that latter makes you wonder why you even pay for the latest game when it's basically the same thing as before. The giants behind CoD have found that the majority of people wants the same elements that made a game really good. So they keep the sandbox, make a new Campaign, up the graphics ever-so-slightly, and add some new weapons and overpowered kill streaks. The stewards of Halo, on the other hand, significantly add on to an amazing universe, make the previous games' graphics look as if they were drawn by a toddler, add amazing new elements to the sandbox (Equipment, Firefight, Armor Abilities, Forge, Spartan Ops), and even produced a high-quality web series.

So why am I hearing so many complaints, such as: "Why is the Battle Rifle a five-shot instead of a four-shot like in Halo 3?", or "Why isn't the ranking system the same?", or "Why aren't there more map remakes?", or "Why is the Plasma Rifle gone?". Granted, some of these are justified (the Storm Rifle was supposed to show that the Storm are independent from the rest of the Covenant). But 343 was commissioned to create a Halo game; that means add a whole ton of stuff to diversify the gameplay so people won't just be playing the same game as last time. So imagine their surprise when they were flooded with complaints that Halo "isn't the same anymore". IT WAS NEVER THE SAME. (sorry for the caps lock there) The whole point about Halo is that you get a different game every time you buy. If you want the same game over and over, go play some CoD; they're good at being repetitious and monotonous like that.

On a side note, I do agree that 343 needs to keep some elements that made a Halo stand out. The trick is to balance the "classic Halo feel" and the promise of new, diversified gameplay that makes us come back every time. 

A while back, I posted a thread in which I listed some ideas for Halo 5 that would better the franchise. It's not all of the things I want in Halo 5--a lot of those would ruin the game. I want what's best for Halo. Anyway, the thread is entitle "Most Promising Ideas for Halo 5". Check it out, and...peace, I guess.

• Like 2