Halo 4 Creative Director leaves 343 Industries

Spectral Jester

One of the Creative Directors on Halo 4, Ryan Payton has decided to depart 343 Industries, claiming that he's unable to muster the same kind of passion and excitement towards the project, feeling that the Halo 343 is building didn't match the creative vision he had in mind.

"I had a great run at Microsoft. I don't regret one day of it. But after a few years, there came a point where I wasn't creatively excited about the project anymore," Payton lamented. "The Halo I wanted to build was fundamentally different and I don't think I had built enough credibility to see such a crazy endeavour through."

Payton worked with Konami on Metal Gear Solid 4 before moving to the US to care for his mother, and despite his waning enthusiasm working on Halo 4, Kotaku reports that he still places a lot of faith in the team currently working on the Master Chief-focused sequel.

Founding new studio, Camoflaj, Payton - inspired by his friend Jake Kazdal's work on indie title Skulls of the Shogun - is already working on two new titles, having previously being diagnosed with depression. "For somebody who loves this industry as much as I do and know how lucky I've been, I never thought I'd get to a point where I was so drained. That was when I knew I had to do something else," said Payton. "I think time is the most valuable thing we have, and I've decided that I'm not going to waste one more day working on something that doesn't speak to my values."

He was wanting to push the halo franchise in a different direction than 343 wants to go.

Quote:"The Halo I wanted to build was fundamentally different and I don't think I had built enough credibility to see such a crazy endeavour through."

He was wanting to change it and make it drastically different than it currently is. He hadn't been around long enough to push his crazy ideas through. It might have been a mutual split with 343 wanting him to leave. For the sake of the Halo universe/Cannon/franchise it is probably best that he is gone.

Thanks for the Post Jester.

He was wanting to change it and make it drastically different than it currently is. He hadn't been around long enough to push his crazy ideas through. It might have been a mutual split with 343 wanting him to leave. For the sake of the Halo universe/Cannon/franchise it is probably best that he is gone.

Thanks for the Post Jester.

Probably is best he's gone. Halo could use refreshening, but not "drastically different". Thanks for the article Jester!!