Xbox Live issues

Justin Ott

Hi, I have been having a lot trouble ever since I purchased Halo 4. I didn't know where to post this because maybe it's my mic or my xbox/network malfunctioning, but these are serious issues and I am not sure if others are having the same problem and found a solution..

Okay, so I can play halo 4 matchmaking just fine with other people, although there are very few maps. The main issue is I can only hear my friends talk, because my other teammates don't often have their mic on, and I cannot talk trash to the other team IF they have a mic. To make troubles worse and bring it around full circle, I believe this causes me to not even want to use MY mic because there is no pleasure in using this supposed "voice-feature" that hasn't worked right since halo 3 and possibly reach in some sense.

Did network block voice connections or is something else going on here? Because its hurting my game experience.

Since Halo 3, players have only been able to chat with people on their own team while in-game, unless they're standing VERY close to a member of the opposing team, at which point anything that's said can be heard by the other player - this is known as 'proximity voice', and although it is definitely present in Halo 3, I think it was abandoned from Reach onwards as it's not particularly useful, and indeed can be distracting.

All players can still communicate in the lobby pre- and post-game, so if you want to talk to your opponents, you can still do it then: I think the restrictions only kick in once you get to the first in-match score screen, where all the player names are displayed on their relevant teams.

Basically, it's just a way of letting teams coordinate better: you can talk freely on your mics about tactics and what's happening without having to worry that the other team will hear and use that against you: no more hassle with having to invite strangers to parties or private chats just to make sure you can tell everyone to rush the rockets, or head to the Banshee spawn because it's about to reappear, without your opponents also knowing what you're up to.

Basically, it's about giving people a better chance to work as a team, and lets teams be more competitive even if they're not on friend lists or partied up.

I don't think it extends to free-for-all gametypes, though. If you want to chat to the people you're shooting, you could always try hopping into Regicide, or playing custom games with all players in one big party.

• Like 1

you can't never hear the other team in any match making unless FFa Unless they have changed it. this is a main issue i don't play because it feels like i'm playing bots. The halo 3 chat was a very effective way. not alot of people have mics in halo 4 because theres no incentive to really do anything now and no social interaction with the other team at any time of the game this is probably a big reason for the massive population drop aside from the visable ranking system i hope they fix it for halo 5 and  go back to what worked.

you can't never hear...

Nice double negative, TornadoFlame. 

I, too, have been waiting for this issue to come to light. I feel as though the limited chat capabilities have really been detrimental to the overall Halo 4 gaming experience. How am I expected to enjoy an assassination if I can't be sure my opponent (who is currently being thrown down to the dirt) can hear me as I tell him "I hope you like the taste of steel" ?

RedStarRocket91 mentions that all players can chat pre-game; however, I think this is not the case - and Justin's brilliant point with this thread. Perhaps because my account has a remarkably negative rating with a large amount of responses saying they do not prefer playing with me due to trash talking, I am no longer able to communicate with everyone pre-game. This really is counter productive after I worked so hard to get that reputation on my account - what is this? North Korea? 

Halo 3 certainly had a great facet to it's game which has been unjustifiably stripped away from its successors. For this reason I have a suggestion for the developers responsible for future updates; add in a "Little Baby Girl" setting which is optional for each player. When enabled this setting will prevent you from speaking or hearing other plays during your gaming experience. I would also suggest this setting be set to "Off" by default as most of the gaming community would agree with Justin, TornadoFlame, and I (I still don't know whose side RedStarRocket91 is on...). In addition perhaps you can also have a setting for "People that take gaming too seriously" which when enabled turns on only team talk so tactics can be discussed. 

I hope this suggestion does not fall upon deaf ears.

Neill - some solid points were made there. And to reply to everyone here, the tactical trouble was remedied by pushing up on the d pad to activate what I humbly called, "trash mode," which allowed me to broadcast a feast of hate and fear to all Spartans wearing a helmet model with an earpiece installed. Right now we are ALL forced into "little girl mode" AND "players who play too seriously."