The Collapse- A Novel (In progress) By Baconshelf

BaconShelf

Before I post, let me just say some things; First, I  am experimenting writing styles with this. There are three main characters, a survivor, a pre-apocalypse soldier in the British Armed Forces and an official who was in charge of the crisis in Britain. The first will be set from a third-person point of view, the second in a series of flashbacks detailing pre-apocalypse and post. The third written from first person, as an interview. Any similarities to games and films etc are not intentional. 

Now, the Collapse was a global event of in the course of two weeks, as the Ozone layer of the Earth's atmosphere began to disperse for unknown reasons. Starting on the equator, the dispersion spread from Africa to the poles and killed billions. Because of this, all animal life was quickly killed from combined elements of radiation and extreme heat/ UV from the sun. Because of the sudden extermination, plants began to die as their Carbon Dioxide was exhausted. The last remnants of society live undergound in sewers, Metro tunnels and bunkers, venturing to the surface only at night to scavenge. 

Survivor- Two years post-Collapse

He sprinted to the canopy, slamming into the door, which had been locked for two years. He tried opening the handle furiously, to no avail. Only one thing for it. He slammed his fist through the glass, glimmering shards flying everywhere. He climbed through the open door as the sun came up, he could tend to the bleeding arm in a minute. He then scoured the room for gas masks, they were given to everyone before, and the house had been deserted for some time, evidenced by the dust build up on the furniture. This place hadn’t been touched for a long time, not even by insects or animals. He found an oxygen tank, full. A lucky find, considering most had already been exhausted in the years since The Collapse. He held his breath, and with mastered practice, he removed his empty tank and replaced it with the new, tightening the nozzle and checking the pressure. He then let his breath out, the clouded visor clearing in a few seconds. He had a few hours, possibly a day at best, if he regulated his breathing and made sure not to do any strenuous activity, something nearly impossible in the apocalyptic wasteland once called London...

• Like 1

Before I post, let me just say some things; First, I  am experimenting writing styles with this. There are three main characters, a survivor, a pre-apocalypse soldier in the British Armed Forces and an official who was in charge of the crisis in Britain. The first will be set from a third-person point of view, the second in a series of flashbacks detailing pre-apocalypse and post. The third written from first person, as an interview. Any similarities to games and films etc are not intentional. 

Now, the Collapse was a global event of in the course of two weeks, as the Ozone layer of the Earth's atmosphere began to disperse for unknown reasons. Starting on the equator, the dispersion spread from Africa to the poles and killed billions. Because of this, all animal life was quickly killed from combined elements of radiation and extreme heat/ UV from the sun. Because of the sudden extermination, plants began to die as their Carbon Dioxide was exhausted. The last remnants of society live undergound in sewers, Metro tunnels and bunkers, venturing to the surface only at night to scavenge. 

Survivor- Two years post-Collapse

He sprinted to the canopy, slamming into the door, which had been locked for two years. He tried opening the handle furiously, to no avail. Only one thing for it. He slammed his fist through the glass, glimmering shards flying everywhere. He climbed through the open door as the sun came up, he could tend to the bleeding arm in a minute. He then scoured the room for gas masks, they were given to everyone before, and the house had been deserted for some time, evidenced by the dust build up on the furniture. This place hadn’t been touched for a long time, not even by insects or animals. He found an oxygen tank, full. A lucky find, considering most had already been exhausted in the years since The Collapse. He held his breath, and with mastered practice, he removed his empty tank and replaced it with the new, tightening the nozzle and checking the pressure. He then let his breath out, the clouded visor clearing in a few seconds. He had a few hours, possibly a day at best, if he regulated his breathing and made sure not to do any strenuous activity, something nearly impossible in the apocalyptic wasteland once called London...

all I can say is kudos to you bacon anyone who even attempts to write a book deservers a pat on the back it is hard work and I know because I am writing a 6 novels at this point one at a time :thumbsup: