ODDBALL PLAYLIST

Immensely

There needs to be an Oddball playlist in Halo 4. It was incredible before and now with the community growing because of CSR we need an Oddball playlist.

Along with in game ranks and ranks that actually work. I'm thinking to just make all ranks based off winning would be good enough because this current ranking system does not do it's job in making a cohesive team environment.

Please start working on this immediately. 

I actually happen to agree with you. Even if there is a low playlist population, it's far better to give players as much control over what they're playing as possible.

Look at Reach. The Team Objective playlist there was having a really good day if it hit 800 players, out of perhaps 60,000 people online - about 1.5% of the playerbase. In Halo 4, it's not uncommon to see the individual objective playlists containing half the total population.

This isn't because these gametypes have somehow become 'better' than Slayer-centric matches: some people like the changes, some people don't. It's all down to the fact that players now don't have to worry about being stuck in a gametype they hate.

For example I really like playing Capture the Flag, and used to love Assault before it was removed. I'm also a big fan of stuff like Dominion and Extraction: if you've ever been at a playdate where I'm hosting, you'll notice an unusually high number of Objective gametypes, and if you check my matchmaking history in Halo 4 you'll see my most popular playlists are Capture the Flag and Dominion. Yet go back to my service record in Reach, and you'll see it's almost completely comprised of Slayer matches. I'd never touch the Objective playlist.

It's not that I've suddenly started liking Slayer less - I actually kind of prefer Infinity Slayer as I dreaded getting a DMR match in Reach - or started liking the new Objective gamemodes more. It's entirely because I now know exactly what kind of game I'll be going in to. I don't like pure Objective playlists because I think it's a dumb idea to group all the Objective modes together as similar gametypes. Assault has about as much in common with Oddball as it does with Slayer: there's two team trying to win and they shoot each other in the process. In consequence, there are a couple of game modes I really don't like playing: I can't stand King of the Hill, Stockpile, Headhunter and Oddball, for example. But now I actually do play Objective games because I know that I'm guaranteed to get the gametype I want instead of being stuck playing something I'll hate, which previously was a big enough worry that I'd just not play altogether and go and do Slayer or something instead.

In short, giving players more control over what they play can only benefit the game. 'Low population' is a bad argument which completely misses the point of having extra playlists, because even if there's only a hundred people in one playlist then that's a hundred people having fun and enjoying the game, rather than five hundred who're playing something they aren't enjoying just because next game they might get to play something they want.

Ultimately, it's way better to have a smaller but happy population than a larger, dissatisfied one.

• Like 2

I actually happen to agree with you. Even if there is a low playlist population, it's far better to give players as much control over what they're playing as possible.

Look at Reach. The Team Objective playlist there was having a really good day if it hit 800 players, out of perhaps 60,000 people online - about 1.5% of the playerbase. In Halo 4, it's not uncommon to see the individual objective playlists containing half the total population.

This isn't because these gametypes have somehow become 'better' than Slayer-centric matches: some people like the changes, some people don't. It's all down to the fact that players now don't have to worry about being stuck in a gametype they hate.

For example I really like playing Capture the Flag, and used to love Assault before it was removed. I'm also a big fan of stuff like Dominion and Extraction: if you've ever been at a playdate where I'm hosting, you'll notice an unusually high number of Objective gametypes, and if you check my matchmaking history in Halo 4 you'll see my most popular playlists are Capture the Flag and Dominion. Yet go back to my service record in Reach, and you'll see it's almost completely comprised of Slayer matches. I'd never touch the Objective playlist.

It's not that I've suddenly started liking Slayer less - I actually kind of prefer Infinity Slayer as I dreaded getting a DMR match in Reach - or started liking the new Objective gamemodes more. It's entirely because I now know exactly what kind of game I'll be going in to. I don't like pure Objective playlists because I think it's a dumb idea to group all the Objective modes together as similar gametypes. Assault has about as much in common with Oddball as it does with Slayer: there's two team trying to win and they shoot each other in the process. In consequence, there are a couple of game modes I really don't like playing: I can't stand King of the Hill, Stockpile, Headhunter and Oddball, for example. But now I actually do play Objective games because I know that I'm guaranteed to get the gametype I want instead of being stuck playing something I'll hate, which previously was a big enough worry that I'd just not play altogether and go and do Slayer or something instead.

In short, giving players more control over what they play can only benefit the game. 'Low population' is a bad argument which completely misses the point of having extra playlists, because even if there's only a hundred people in one playlist then that's a hundred people having fun and enjoying the game, rather than five hundred who're playing something they aren't enjoying just because next game they might get to play something they want.

Ultimately, it's way better to have a smaller but happy population than a larger, dissatisfied one.

This post is so inspiring :,(