Very interesting Halo 4 Concept art

BaconShelf

So I dug out my copy of The Art of Halo 4 to find some very interesting designs. The ones featured here are but a few notworthy examples but I would highly reommend this book. It's friggin brilliant!

First, this is one fans of Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST will like; A concept that shows the M7 SMG was originally planned to make an in-game appearance. Considering the other designs on this page look almost identical to their in-game counterparts, I'm guessing it was cut as a last-minute change rather than early on. What do you think?

SMG

SMGConcept_zps24ee25e5.jpg

Another design is What appears to be a Railgun Turret (Which is where I got the idea from in my other thread). The overall silhouette/ profile look very similar to the railgun weapon.

Railturret_0001_zpsa2a2b8f0.jpg

Now, one thing that obviously came extremely close to being in game is these on the side of the Mantis. I call them the 'ears'. These can be seen on the Dominion Mantis vehicle pad, adding further evidence to support this. Also of note are the initial designs that included tracks and tyres as well as some pretty interesting designs that would look very nice in some sort of game in the future.

Mantisthing_zps39427cfe.jpg

Finally, this page is one big picture of armour designs. Most of these are as appeared but there are some interesting pieces outlined in RED or WHITE circles. Two pieces of note are what appears to be a MK V design that was originally planned to be in-game. This can be seen on the far left. This stands alongside concepts of Halo 3 styled MK VI and Halo 4 Master Chief MK VI.

On the top right, the FOTUS armour can be seen. What's so special about this? Look at the 'horn'. What are those wierd glyphs/ holograms? The helmet seems to be giving off some kind of energy, possibly hinting at a Forerunner based technology.

Armourcircled_zps6b5881db.png

So what do you think? Would you have liked to see the SMG in the game? The FOTUS to have the Forerunner glyphs? I certainly do!

• Like 4

thanks for this. Love it!

I think that the Mantis with the treads is a really cool idea, and a real shame that it wasn't incorporated into the final game. In terms of the Fotus Armour, the glyph's are very cool and would certainly add an extra little bit of detail in game, but alas... no shining horn for us. 

I personally would love the SMG back.    

Just like Eternal whatever from Reach, we would have had at least a weird flaming Helmet Horn in Halo 4 based on that concept...

Makes me wonder if 343 has "secret' armor used only by Company staff... Like the Bungie armor, and Recon from Halo 3... I'm sure we would have seen it by now due to all the Community contests 343 holds all the time but whatever...

Keeping the backstreet pride alive! And yes I literally found that saying while lurking around Bing... and no I hate the Backstreet Boys... It's just a really catchy saying is all.

hmmm just imagine what if 343 had these armour types and weapons skins in the game not it mention the smg I wish that was in there as well as duel welding I love duel smgs they make you look so bad****http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=halo+3+dual+wielding+smg&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=SafharHPs7-rvM&tbnid=F-O2tHQIwSQVeM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhalo.wikia.com%2Fwiki%2FDual_Wielding&ei=3pj_UeqeJsTt0gXAhICQBA&bvm=bv.50165853,d.ZGU&psig=AFQjCNEXSMGcb_nKYBYRMuvY4t0wPWensg&ust=1375791661676122

Edited by Caboose the Ace