How does master cheif understand the covies words?

Touquisi

Ok guys I looked on the covenant languages section of Halo nation and found out this ....

That in halo ce all covenant where speaking there language but was transited for the connivance of the player. :)

Thank you for proving my point. 

I was going to bring the "canon" out on you. 

I just started reading the fall of reach book and here's a line that proves translators existed at some point in the Halo universe (unless that book's non-canon now)

Taken from the first page of the prologue: (talking about grunts) "They reminded Chief of  biped dogs, not only in appearance, but because their speech- even with the new translation software- was an odd combination of high-pitched squeaks, guttural barks, and growls" 

This was from the battle of Jericho Vll, which was 17 years before Master Chief was in a game, so maybe things could have happened over the years to the translation software, or maybe it was new armor. I don't know, but I found this thread interesting after I just read something about translation software earlier today.  

• Like 2

Bnus that proved no ones point really it didn't prove the translator one and it didn't prove cortana translating it for chief. :)

Are you serious dude really? Im sorry but wow. 

Well you can always post it as a status update or comment on my profile.

Also allow me to quote a page from the paperback version of  Halo The Fall Of Reach.

This is from page: 286, Paragraph 5 of the revised edition

"Cortana has been programmed with every ONI computer insurgency routine," Dr.Halsey told him. "And she has a talent for modifying them on the fly. She has our best Covenant language-translation software as well."

There is more to the paragraph of course but it does not involve our discussion. 

In Halo 2 and Halo 3 the covenant spoke English. This is a widely known fact. 

Halo CE, and Halo 4 the covenant/storm covenant spoke their native tongue.(I only brought up the main games this is not counting the spin-offs)  

I take the time to write this for you. And you don't even take the time to read.

Edited by Buns

Rrhutington well I think that settles it master chief did have translation software for quite along time but I think the translation software got better over time by the time halo 3 came it pretty much could translate everything. :)

EDIT

Bnus chief first met cortana right before the fall of Reach

Edited by Ranger447

I suppose for me the weirdest part is the suddenness of the translations. Cortana isn't in Chief's head for the first part of Cairo station, and yet we can understand the Covenant boarders' speech perfectly: yet on Delta Halo, Chief actually has to ask Cortana to translate the Prophet's sermon - and there's no delay or anything, she just snaps her fingers and it's done. This does support the idea that Chief has some sort of translator software in his suit, as it can't translate San 'Shyuum speech because it's never encountered it before, while Cortana, having had previous contact with the Covenant, can. Assuming Cortana keeps updating Chief's translation software as they go, it also explains why even when she's not in his head during Halo 3, the Chief can still understand the Brutes and Prophets. 

But that's where it starts to get awkward. Cortana only provides translation for the Grunts during the events of Halo: CE, and if she can so easily translate what the Prophets are saying in Halo 2, why not do the same for the Elites on the Pillar of Autumn and Halo? Cortana doesn't get any canonical upgrades between games, so it's not like she's acquired any new linguistic abilities that way, and we already know that she's more capable of translation than the Mjolnir software.

That said, I think Halo 4 has a potential answer. Cortana mentions that she rewrote the Mjolnir armour's firmware while the Chief was in stasis, and the fact that we suddenly can't understand what the Covenant are saying is actually brilliantly clever, as it's an early clue even before the first of Cortana's vision distortions that something is wrong with her, because not only has she completely broken the translation software which only got better and better over the course of three games, but isn't even capable of translating on her own anymore.

• Like 2

Rrhutington well I think that settles it master chief did have translation software for quite along time but I think the translation software got better over time by the time halo 3 came it pretty much could translate everything. :)

EDIT

Bnus chief first met cortana right before the fall of Reach

EDIT Cortana did not exist before the fall of reach.

If you truly wish to discuss that make a new thread or know the canon. I think all of us here already answered the topics question. 

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Cortana

Edited by Buns

Nope Bnus the translator is built in because as of  most of Halo 3 chief was alone but yet he understood what Arbiter and the Elites and grunts etc where saying. :)

Not saying your wrong, or trying to calling you a liar, but I do not believe you are correct. From what recall, is that the UNSC designed A.I (like cortana) for purposes of translating covenant chatter... This can be backed up by playing Halo CE.

In the second mission "Halo" Cortana says this when entering the Cave...

Cortana: "I've hacked into the Covenant battlenet. They're actually broadcasting tactical data on unencrypted channels! We should show them who they're dealing with. Master Chief, I'm going to use your suits Tansponder system to monitor their chatter." - From Halopedia (The levels transcript)

So this would mean that spartan suits are equipped with enough tech to hack and listen in on conversations of the Covenant, but as for translating, they either must know or speak Covenant language or have an A.I like cortana do it for them.

This is also made clear in Halo 2...

Mission "Delta Halo"

• Cortana: "Regret's giving a speech. A sermon, to be exact. So far it's the standard Covenant liturgy, but I'll translate if he says anything interesting."

Mission "Regret"

Master Chief puts Cortana in the holo-projector, her avatar appears.

• Cortana: "That's what I thought he said. The Prophet of Regret is planning to activate Halo!"

Cortana snaps her fingers, the hologram starts speaking in English

• Prophet of Regret (Hologram): "I shall light this holy ring, release its cleansing flame, and burn a path into the divine beyond!"

Cortana snaps her fingers again, and the hologram freezes.

• Cortana(smugly) "Pretty much."
  • John-117: "Commander, we've got a problem."

Here is a video, if it is not set to the correct time, then forward or rewind it to 25:52... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UrIrI4FJZ0A#t=1552

Well as Red said Cortana was not in chiefs head a points in the Halo games yet he knew what they covies were saying so he must have some sort of translate but as said before in some moments chief has to ask cortana on what they say so I conclude there is no answer.

BTW Bnus Cortana existed a few days before the fall of Reach

I have played all the games read almost every Halo nation page and read all the books. :)

EDIT There is no answer because in Halo 3 and moments in Halo 2 chief did not have cortana but understood what the covies were saying  

Edited by Ranger447

Well as Red said Cortana was not in chiefs head a points in the Halo games yet he knew what they covies were saying so he must have some sort of translate but as said before in some moments chief has to ask cortana on what they say so I conclude there is no answer.

BTW Bnus Cortana existed a few days before the fall of Reach

I have played all the games read almost every Halo nation page and read all the books. :)

EDIT There is no answer because in Halo 3 and moments in Halo 2 chief did not have cortana but understood what the covies were saying  

Halo 2 and 3 the covies spoke english

Also are you sure you read all the books caboose? Are you sure?

The first page in Halo:Fall Of Reach starts in-  The story begins on the planet Jericho VII on February 12, 2535

source:  http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo:_The_Fall_of_Reach

Cortana begins service in: November 7, 2549

source: http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Cortana

While I admit you're doing a good job of trying to deny canon please don't go around lying. I found out all that information just by reading the books and "halo nation" pages you claimed to have read. 

Now if you were talking about the video game then you make sense but the video game is "Reach" and the novel is "The Fall Of Reach".

Edited by Buns

Halo 2 and 3 the covies spoke english

Also are you sure you read all the books caboose? Are you sure?

The first page in Halo:Fall Of Reach starts in-  The story begins on the planet Jericho VII on February 12, 2535

source:  http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo:_The_Fall_of_Reach

Cortana begins service in: November 7, 2549

source: http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Cortana

While I admit you're doing a good job of trying to deny canon please don't go around lying. I found out all that information just by reading the books and "halo nation" pages you claimed to have read. 

Now if you were talking about the video game then you make sense but the video game is "Reach" and the novel is "The Fall Of Reach".

I think he's talking about the Fall of Reach event, not the whole novel.

Ok Bnus I have read all the books all the games everything done !!!!!!!

of course I do not remember every word of by heart but lets check .......

From Halo nation itself on cortana

Cortana first met chief prior to the fall of Reach :)

EDIT The fall of Reach when the covies attacked Reach prior to that Chief met cortana.

Edited by Ranger447

Even then in Halo 4, you aren't able to understand what they're saying, whether you're playing as the Chief or not. I prefer it when the Covenant say funny things when they're trembling in fear of their impending doom rather than babbling incomprehensible gibberish.

Agreed. I like understanding what they say because they are funny at times. I hate that we don't understand them no more