The path of evolving game consoles

Victory Element

Recently i was speaking to a friend of mine about the next gen consoles that have come out, and he shared some thoughts with me that i found very intriguing. I can say that he put a new perspective into my head when it comes to gaming consoles, and i thought this would be the proper place to share some of these ideas. 

As game consoles have evolved throughout the years, they become filled with more and more features and capabilities. there are the simple factors that you would expect to improve, such as graphic quality, loading speeds, and more complex games. But along with the simple gaming elements, new things such as motion controlled gaming, Netflix, Youtube, internet explorer, Skype, and many other applications have made their way into our consoles. 

To most, these new additions make the game console much more appealing. It gives them access to all sorts of media in one convenient location. Motion controlled games help encourage active habits and let players interact with their games more. The kinect feature on xbox also allows you to navigate between the features with simple hand gestures or voice commands. In short, you can do everything in the comfort of your own living room 

That's the positive perspective of the situation....

If you think about it differently, its a reason for you to never have to leave your living room, or even your couch. Everything is provided for you in one location, so there is no need to go grab your laptop or cell phone from a different room. No reason to go over to your friend's house because you can just Skype him from your couch. no reason to find the lost remote because you can just use your voice. And with motion controlled gaming, there's no need to go outside in the fresh air and play sports. You can just play sports in your living room and stay active there.......

The consoles are doing everything for us. They take a sense of responsibility and action out of our lives if we choose to take advantage of these features. The console does it all, so why would you need anything else? 

What happened to just gaming? We buy these consoles for the main purpose of playing games on them. Now that all of these features are added on, the prices begin to shoot up higher and higher. I feel like most people don't even use half of the features that are included with modern consoles. I just need a console to play my games on, not to act as a personal trainer or my computer. So I'm forced to pay an extremely large amount of money for a console with numerous features that i will not use regularly. We need simplicity back if you ask me

Ok, I'm done. I don't intend to offend anyone with the comments that I made above. I was just hoping to share a new perspective on modern gaming consoles. If you disagree at any point, i have no problem with anyone sharing their opinion too. I'm open to new ideas, and hopefully i was able to share a few good ones too. 

• Like 4

No reason to go over to your friend's house because you can just Skype him from your couch. 

I am very debated about this one. Sure playing with friends is fun and now with the ease of multiplayer it is even more convenient but there is a certain enjoyment in playing a co-op game with your buddies and eating a whole bunch of poop. You can't recreate those moments from skyping. Some of my favorite gaming moments are from playing Super Smash Bros Melee at my friends house every saturday. 

Not to mention its healthy to leave your house every once in awhile. 

• Like 1

Haha, these consoles really are turning us into couch potatoes. In a few years time, we'll have an all in one apartment, so we won't have to get up much at all. And, in 2040, we'll have robots doing everything for us as well as having an all in one apartment. And, in 2080, we'll all have our heads put on robots, so we won't have to get up again.

• Like 1

You can't recreate those moments from skyping. Some of my favorite gaming moments are from playing Super Smash Bros Melee at my friends house every saturday. 

Not to mention its healthy to leave your house every once in awhile.

You are correct sir. Those moments definitely cannot be made over Skype, but for some, they consider the Xbox to be their social life. That's what is becoming unhealthy about the whole situation, but I think most have a enough sense to get out once in a while