Book and Game playing/reading order

ROCK5T3ADY

In my opinion, you should read the Kilo-Five Trilogy, catch up on the gaps between Halo 3 and Halo 4, then if you want, the Forerunner Saga. You then should read the Fall of Reach, The Flood, First Strike, Ghosts of Onyx, Contact Harvest, and the Cole Protocol. They are all really good books (12 I just put in). That's if you have enough time this year to read them.

Then the games. Play them in Chronological order. That makes sense...again in my opinion.

-Halo Wars

-Halo Reach

-Halo CE/ Anniversary

-Halo 2

-Halo 3 ODST

-Halo 3

-Halo Spartan Assault (If you have it)

-Halo 4

Just saying, this is how I would do it.

• Like 1

I think that I'd rather read the older books first. Thanks for letting me know where the Kilo-Five trilogy takes place, that's helpful. Does the Forerunner Saga have a place you can put it in relation to the games?

Eh, sort of. Basically gives you the origins of the Forerunners, the Flood, the Forerunner Installations, and the Forerunner-Human War. There are connections from Cryptum, Primordium, and Silentium to the Reclaimer Saga, though I can't really explain them.

Got it, so they should be read together to be enjoyed best. 

I'll probably read the books based on release starting with the Fall of Reach. Seems to be the best way to go and see how I like it. 

That works. The Forerunner Saga and the Kilo-Five Trilogy could be read after you are done with the other awesome books. Then there's the games.

• 2 months later...

Having had to find and figure out the actual order of story and games, I agree with what arden told you.  The order I've read things in (Contact Harvest, The Cole Protocol, and The Fall of Reach) was the "wrong" order in that there are Spartans in The Cole Protocol, but we don't learn about the Spartan program until The Fall of Reach--and even that only in the context of the version of the program that brought us Master Chief.  The next book in my reading order is The Flood, which concides with Halo: Combat Evolved (game 1).  

The nice thing about the novels is that they do tie in.  I've also read the Mass Effect books, and they relate only tangentially to the games.  The Halo novel/game tie-in is much tighter and, if you're looking to immerse yourself in the universe continues by 343, they are definitely worth absorbing.

dG

• 3 weeks later...

In chronological order?

Cryptum

Primordium

Silentium

Contact Harvest. B

Forward unto Dawn. F

Legends. F

Halo Wars. G

The Cole Protocol. B

Evolutions I+II. B

Bloodline. C

Helljumper. C

The Fall of Reach. B

Halo: Combat Evolved. G

The Flood. B

First Strike. B

Halo 2. G

Halo 3: ODST. G

Ghosts of Onyx. B

Halo 3. G

Glass lands. B

The Thursday War. B

Mortal Dictata. B

Spartan Assault. G

Initiation. C

Halo 4. G

Escalation. C

C- comic

B-book

G-game

F-film/anime

Note- some, such as Legends, Evolutions and the comics are set throughout the war. I chose to put then there because I did, though they can't really be watched chronologically.

Halo: Primordium, I put as second due to it being largely centred around the Forerunners, and it being in that trilogy's storyline.

However, Primordium also has the possibility of being last, as it is revealed that the UNSC is learning this from a damaged AI found on the Ark in 2559. Your choice there.

Likewise, I place FoR before CE as it directly prequels it, andThe Flood. However, a large segment is set in 2517, when the Spartan program started: nearly 10 years before Contact Harvest.

Edited by BaconShelf
  • Like 1