PlayStation 4 breezes past 5m sales milestone

Akali

2439815-9677670414-23910.jpg

Sony has now passed the 5 million point for the amount of Playstations 4 sold worldwide since the release of the Playstation 4.

Sony was trying to sell 5 million Playstaion 4s before the end of March and and they said that they have sold 5.3 million Playstations 4s on February 8th but Sony is likely to ship a few more consoles to Japan on February 22nd.

"I am thrilled that so many customers around the globe have continued to select PS4 as the best place to play throughout and beyond the holiday season," said Sony Computer Entertainment president Andrew House.

"We are delighted that according to the NPD Group's latest data, PS4 was January's top-selling console in the United States," House added. "The PS4 system's momentum just keeps growing stronger, and we are extremely grateful for the continued passion and support of PlayStation fans."

When Sony said that they sold 5.3 million consoles on February 8th, Microsoft said that they have sold 3.9 million consoles and the Sony marketing VP John Koller said that US PlayStation 4 sales were almost double that of the Xbox One in January.

source

• Like 1

BZ I don't see MS passing Sony for some time if at all they have to big of a lead now in the future yes I can see MS Passing maybe but anyway it is to early to think about that kind of stuff anything could happened for all we know 1 year from now Sony could go bankrupt. :)

BZ I don't see MS passing Sony for some time if at all they have to big of a lead now in the future yes I can see MS Passing maybe but anyway it is to early to think about that kind of stuff anything could happened for all we know 1 year from now Sony could go bankrupt. :)

In one year Sony will have just as much money it has now (actually it'll have more.) I'm not saying Microsoft will catch Sony this year, I'm only saying that in the life of the two consoles, I hope Xbox finishes with more sales and I think it's plausible to think that they can.

Microsoft has a chance to catch up. Look how long 360 and Playstation 3 were out for. The next gen consoles will last just as long if not longer. Sales will grow each year, and once Halo comes out on Xbox One sales will go up again. I know a lot of people who are waiting to buy it once Halo comes out.

i dont really care about who sells more since to me the console war is just stupid and i have no interest in it since no company is perfect or better than the other since both companies have messed up like when the PS3 got hacked and a lot of money was taken and Microsoft with their DRM policies so i dont really care about it since both companies have messed up at times 

BZ there is a fair chance that MS will get past despite it all look at the PS3 in the end it sold more units than the XB360 did so anything Is possible. :)

XB360 sold more units overall. PS3 sold more units in Japan. 

Also at this rate I don't think Microsoft will ever past Sony, but is that a bad thing? Haha no Microsoft is still doing a great job regardless. They're still making money unless they pull off a Nintendo which being as they are a software/OS/console/a million other things company I cannot see that happening for a long time. 

Nice article Fizz, I really hope Microsoft passes them, hopefully the rumors about the upcoming white Xbox One are true, and can increase sales at least enough to pass Sony. 

Um... Why? I mean first off, don't you want both companies to succeed? If one fails, let's say sony, then Xbox owns the market, I have a feeling they'll get sloppy, not because they're a bad company (lol game reference) but because they're people's only source to console game, so they can get away with it easy.

Second, a lot of people work at Sony Entertainment and work for Playstation... They have families and kids, they need this money to help them support those kids... If they're out of a job since Sony is losing to MS, then, what happens to those kids? Those families?

I'm not trying to say either Sony or MS, or PS4 or Xbox One are bad! I'm just saying from a different perspective, it would be catastrophic for something like that to happen, so... Why should it?

Anyways, unto the topic, good Article yang. It's good news considering maybe Sony can use the money to... I don't know, GET MORE EXCLUSIVES? 

Um... Why? I mean first off, don't you want both companies to succeed? If one fails, let's say sony, then Xbox owns the market, I have a feeling they'll get sloppy, not because they're a bad company (lol game reference) but because they're people's only source to console game, so they can get away with it easy.

I didn't say I wanted them to fail. One company will do better than the other regardless, and I hope that company is Microsoft.

It was quite clear from the start that since the PS4 was going to be $100 cheaper at the start of the consoles sales compared to XB1 which is $100 more, people want a console they can afford and have fun with. I think many of the 5 million sales come from the idea that it was less expensive than the XB1

It was quite clear from the start that since the PS4 was going to be $100 cheaper at the start of the consoles sales compared to XB1 which is $100 more, people want a console they can afford and have fun with. I think many of the 5 million sales come from the idea that it was less expensive than the XB1

that and the fact it came out a week earlier