Can Halo creator's next game Destiny live up to the hype?

Akali

2440609-destinyscreens.jpg

Bungie has some seriously bold ambitions for its upcoming shared-world shooter Destiny. Writing as part of the latest Bungie Weekly Update, the developer laid out its vision for the upcoming game, the first of the studio's decade-long partnership with the juggernaut Call of Duty and Skylanders company Activision Publishing.

"At Bungie, we want to make a game that matters--to break new ground in your imagination. We don't want to make something that’s just good enough to ship," Bungie said. "Our goal is to change the way you think about all the games you play. We want to redefine what you come to expect when you have a weapon in your hands and your own hunt and evade scenarios are afoot."

Bungie has a proven track record for blazing trails in the gaming world. The studio's best-known work which is Halo which is what made the original Xbox so popular and Bungie hasn't lay off with the awesome content that they provided in halo. To bet against Bungie would seem to be unwise, but we won't know for sure how impactful the game will be until it officially arrives on September 9. A beta for the game will arrive this summer first on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4.

It's not just Bungie that believes Destiny will raise the bar. Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg said this month that Destiny is on track to become the "best-selling new video game IP in history." Activision executives also anticipate that Destiny could become Activision Publishing's third billion-dollar franchise, joining Call of Duty and Skylanders.

source

• Like 3

There's no doubt in my mind that Bungie will be successful with Destiny. But this kind of thing just burns me up:

A beta for the game will arrive this summer first on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4.

The way Bungie has spurned Microsoft and the Xbox since they left Halo is just ridiculous to me. That's no way to act towards the company that gave you your big opportunity. 

There's no doubt in my mind that Bungie will be successful with Destiny. But this kind of thing just burns me up:

The way Bungie has spurned Microsoft and the Xbox since they left Halo is just ridiculous to me. That's no way to act towards the company that gave you your big opportunity. 

Agreed. Also no way to treat the gamers who supported them and bought Halo games all these years... Hoping for a beta on XB1.

edit: Beta will be on all platforms... Anyone who pre-orders from Gamestop gets access.

The reason they are promoting Sony is because Sony paid them. Just like MS bought Bungie to develop Halo for Xbox and not Mac. It's business man. 

It definitely will be successful. Everyone seems to be hyping this game up a LOT, so it's safe to say it will get tons of sales. Whether or not it will be good is anyone's guess. I think it'll be amazing, but we can't judge until release. But Bungie seem to be putting a LOT of work into this game, so it's fair to assume it will be a great game. It's very ambitious, and it would be a shame to see such a great concept for a game wasted like this. Just as long as Activision don't rush Bungie to make more and more games, I'm sure they'll be fine. If their future games are rushed though, you know who to blame...