Analyzing the Batman: Arkham Knights Trailer

VinWarrior

post-26953-0-44590700-1394066519_thumb.jpg

With the recent announcement of the next hit title in the Arkham series, Batman: Arkham Knight, I thought it might be a good idea to analyze the trailer and put forward my own thoughts and opinions on what has changed, what has stayed the same, and what we can expect. Spoilers ahead.

For starters, what we already know; We have been notified that the game will follow Bruce Wayne aka the Batman fighting off the Scarecrow who has recruited a roster of villains to fight for him and take over Gotham City. The trailer is narrated by Thomas Wayne’s disembodied voice reading off his last will and testament. This could possibly be Bruce remembering this and imaging the voice instead of something that happened beforehand set directly up with the events currently going on.

Bruce himself has had little changes since the events of Arkham City. He looks almost exactly the same since the events at the end of City, with slightly bushier hair and a less trimmed face as a small shadow is shown on his lip area.

post-26953-0-92124700-1394066496_thumb.jpg

The batsuit itself looks to be a slightly more modified version of the one from Arkham City and Asylum, keeping a sort of bulkiness from Origins. One noticeable change is the size of the hood, as the pointed horn-like features on his cowl are much more edged and look to be a good few inches longer. It seems to be pushing away from designs like the one in Injustice and Origins, making the suit slimmer, but at the same time incorporating modern armor on to it for defense.

Next, we look at Harleen Quinzel, since the events of City, and the loss of Joker, Harley seems to have gone her own way teaming up with Scarecrow, Two-Face, and Penguin. Her body size looks about the same as in City, but she has differences i n her facial area. She looks much more mature, and at least in her 30s-40s. This could be a hint at a much more distant future as Harley looks to have grown by at least a decade. The penguin, who looked richer and more like a leader in Arkham City, here also looks older, and to have his own allegiances. Finally, two face, who did appear earlier in City as well. He does seem slightly older, but not much older or disfigured like Harley and the Penguin.

post-26953-0-30841600-1394066634.png

Commissioner Gordon oddly enough makes no appearance in the trailer, could this possibly be another city-under-siege situation? With the police locked down somehow, and batman by a sliver of luck not being locked away while crime runs rampant? Could this also be a hint at Gordon’s possible death in Knight? For right now, we can only speculate.

Tallying it up, my theory is that the game is set at least a decade into the future, with an all out attack by Harley, left alone with no Joker by her side, an old and vengeful Penguin, a power hungry Two-Face in the city, locking it away from Police as they begin a lock-down on the population until the group finds Batman, with Bruce having a small time to stop them before they go over the edge.

• Like 2

Judging by the differences in character appearances I would like to assume this is after Arkham City which is exactly what I've been waiting for. With Rocksteady behind this we can expect several Boss fights, some great easter eggs, more than one enemy of course, a GIANT M. Night Shaymalan twist, and an incredible ending. The twist in Arkham City and the ending had me in awe truly. I mean Origins did an excellent job of adding a twist, probably as good as City, but Rocksteady gives it a darker feel, more Batmanny feel. I'm also hoping to see some new move sets and gadgets along with some classics.

Great job Edward.

Well in the trailer you can see all the cars look much older and in my opinion everyone looks younger and the clothes the people were wearing at the start does not look like anything modern day Gotham citizens would wear so I think that the game may switch between 2 time periods the main one being present day one year after Arkham city. the other one possibly being when Bruce was a child. :) 

I wounder how much Harley has changed since Arkham City... How doe's not having the Joker around affect her personality? And by being alone, could it have made noticeable change's to her character? Did she grow out from under Jokers lead and become her own villain, or will she be so alone, she will desperately cling to the Scarecrow and his goons, and look for guidance? And if she did mature, how will this affect her side of the story? 

I so can not wait for this game!!  ^_^

• Like 1