Halo 4

Not sure if this is the correct page to vent...

I just bought the Halo 4 for my son yesterday and we get home and he is unable to play the game. It would be an easy fix if we lived close to the retail store, but we live 2 hours away. So to return the game we are talking about a 5 hour day. It will cost me more in fuel then the game is worth. 

I have contacted Xbox Microsoft help chat desk and they have sent me to this site.

Here is what they said:  do understand that it's not going to be easy to drive to the store. You can also check to 343 Industries if they can provide you a direct link where you can download the games since you just purchased the game.

Now we have already done all the updates and cleared the cache many times. Have removed the game and reinstalled several times. According to the help desk it is the disk.

Thank you in advance,

Samantha Waggoner

I am sorry to inform you that we are not actually 343i. We are merely a fansite

You can contact 343i directly here: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us

Although I do not believe 343i will provide you with a download of the game. I have never heard of them doing so in the past, and I think you might have to end up returning the disc because it is scratched.

I'll do my best to help anyways. Here are some things you can try.

Clean the disc(if you don't know how just google search) and then try to see if it works then.

If not then clean the disc again and try to install the game into your harddrive(when the game prompt appears just click the "Y" button for details and click "Install to harddrive"

Also what error message are you getting when you try to play Halo 4? Are you using Disc 1 and not Disc 2? Have you installed all the contents for Disc 2 yet?

Sorry about your predicament. Best of luck to you. Like Bnus (I mean Cheeks) said, try some of his options, and if most of them don't work you can contact the real 343i at the above link.

(Would have not posted this but Bnus and me posted at practically the same time.) 

I am sorry to inform you that we are not actually 343i. We are merely a fansite

You can contact 343i directly here: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us

Although I do not believe 343i will provide you with a download of the game. I have never heard of them doing so in the past, and I think you might have to end up returning the disc because it is scratched.

I'll do my best to help anyways. Here are some things you can try.

Clean the disc(if you don't know how just google search) and then try to see if it works then.

If not then clean the disc again and try to install the game into your harddrive(when the game prompt appears just click the "Y" button for details and click "Install to harddrive"

Also what error message are you getting when you try to play Halo 4? Are you using Disc 1 and not Disc 2? Have you installed all the contents for Disc 2 yet?

Or...you could just get a refund? Or a new replacement?

Or...you could just get a refund? Or a new replacement?

Read the topic and you will notice the OP does not live close to his/her local game retailer and the cost in gas will be more then what Halo 4 is worth.

Please be considerate when helping people with their problems. 

Firstly sorry for any inconvience Samantha, I know how annoying it can be when a game gets destroyed.

'Considerate' is not the word  I think I would use, Bnus..

I word use the word 'smart'.

It's better to work smart than work hard I believe. You could try other ways of getting Halo 4 fixed or replaced , there's always Ebay/Amazon which sells second hand games which are far more cheaper and even though you may need to wait for a couple of days for it to arrive , there's no need to worry about driving up to the gamestore all the time so that minuses the fuel problem.Secondly , before making the decision to get it replaced or whatever , examine the disk like what Bnus told you. And think carefully.

When you put the disc in does it show up in the "Preview" panel for the game? Like a picture of Halo 4 shows up in it? And if it doesn't show up, and you click it will it give you an error message saying "This disc cannot be read'?

If so then I have the same problem. Here's what you do if this is your problem:

1. Put the disc in the Xbox

2. Wait for it to load, and if it doesn't show the Halo 4 logo in the Preview pane then open the disc drive

3. Close the disc drive, and see if it shows up this time. It might take a while to load

4. Continue to do this process, and eventually it should show up in the Preview pane. When it does it works

Hope this helps.

Provided that you're the original purchaser of the game (i.e. it's not pre-owned) and it was bought within the last 90 days, then it's still covered by the warranty. This means you can take it back to the store where you bought it with your receipt, and that store will be required to either give you a new copy of the game, or to refund the cost of it in full. Since it would cost you more to drive to get it replaced than to just buy a new copy, you may wish to purchase a digital version via the Xbox Live Store instead, and then as long as you're making a trip near the store within the period of the warranty within the next 90 days you could return it for a refund without wasting money on such a long trip.

If you purchased a pre-owned copy, then unfortunately the warranty is no longer valid and you probably won't be able to return it for either a replacement or a refund, as doing so will be entirely at the discretion of the store. Whenever buying a pre-owned disc it's generally a very good idea to ask to see it in-store before the box is sealed and the transaction made, so that you know you're getting a copy without any obvious flaws.

• Like 1