[GameSpot] - A Way Out Dev Joseph Fares Is Unsure About Xbox Game Pass -- "How Do You Get Paid?"

343iBot

Game designer Josef Fares, who led the development teams at Hazelight on Brothers, A Way Out, and It Takes Two, isn't sold on the idea of subscription services like Xbox Game Pass. Speaking to Polygon, Fares said he's scared about "the Netflix system" in the context of games because he isn't sure how one very important piece comes together: How do developers get paid?

"I'm not really sure if the Netflix system will work with games; I'm not sure how that's going to work in the long-term [...] The only thing that scares me a little bit is that if you have a system where... How do you get paid? I'm not sure," he said.

Fares offered up a potential business model structure for a subscription service where a developer gets paid based on the amount of time someone spends playing it. But that doesn't work out well for developers who make shorter games. In the end, Fares said he likes the idea of a system like Game Pass that has the potential to get people to play more games than ever--and Microsoft's data says that is the case--but if it comes at the expense of the developer, then that's a problem.

Continue Reading at GameSpot

View the full article