Wii U controller image leak shows proper analogue sticks

Wii U branding also added

A QA tester for Traveller's Tales, the developers of Lego Star Wars, Lego Batman and - if the rumours are true - Lego Lord of the Rings, has leaked an image of a revised version of the Wii U controller.

screenshot_283146_thumb_wide300.jpg

The most noticeable change is that the controller now features traditional analogue sticks instead of the nubs used used on the Nintendo 3DS hardware.

Beyond that the start and select buttons have been shifted over to the right hand side of the tablet and a small square button has been placed just below the directional pad, presumably this button will sync up the controller to the Wii U console.

Finally the tablet is now adorned with the Wii U branding, which might be an indication that Nintendo will be sticking to the name instead of changing it, as rumoured earlier this year. It may be that these changes are specific to dev units, but we'd be surprised if the final models aren't the same.

A report last September claimed that Nintendo had rushed the final Wii U architecture through the door "with undesirable consequences" including "inadequate streaming and wireless functionality". Insiders have claimed the Nintendo is facing "development hell" with the Wii U as the controllers supplied to developers "still don't work properly."

The tipsters mentioned issues with console's ability to stream wirelessly to the tablet and new evidence last month indicated that the Wii U tablet controller might be struggling to live up to its original billing as a fully wireless peripheral.

Either way we'll find out more at E3 in June, when Nintendo will be showing it off again.

http://www.computera...nalogue-sticks/

wii-u-controller-seems-to-have-control-sticks.jpg

It looks like Nintendo has changed the design of the Wii U's controller, adding control sticks instead of discs. The above photo was reportedly tweeted by a QA tester at TT Games, but has since been removed. As you can see, the control discs featured in the original controller design are gone, in favor of more traditional sticks. Check out the difference:

rayman-legends-wii-u-features.jpg

We don't know if the above photo represents the final design of the Wii U's controller. But I sincerely hope so. I've gotten my hands on a Wi U at CES, and while the disc controllers worked fine, I did wonder why Nintendo didn't go with the more traditional joystick.

We should learn more about the Wii U (hopefully a LOT more!) at E3 2012, an event G4 will be all over, bringing you live coverage, interviews, videos, demos and many surprises, so don't miss it!

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/723960/wii-u-controller-seems-to-have-control-sticks/

• Like 3